ISIS execution. File photo
- ISIS releases video footage showing French church attackers
- Kurdish president announces move towards ‘own sovereignty’
- Human rights group calls on Iranian authorities to stop execution of Kurdish scholar
- British MP calls for more support to Kurdish Peshmerga forces
- German police have 410 leads on possible terrorists among refugees
- 10,000 jihadis still fighting for ISIS in Mosul
- Syrian Kurdish defence chief denies reports about Turkish coup pilot entering Rojava
DUHOK – The Islamic State radical group (ISIS) on Wednesday executed four of its own jihadis in the city of Mosul in Iraq’s northwestern Nineveh province on treason charges.
The four ISIS fighters were accused of “high treason” for escaping the battlefront of Mosul, where the group has been engaged in heavy fighting with the Kurdish Peshmerga and Iraqi army forces.
The ISIS military leadership ordered the immediate execution of the deserters.
“The four fighters were hanged to death in the Muallimin square in central Mosul,” local media activist Ahmed al-Muthanna told ARA News. “Hundreds of ISIS members and civilians witnessed the execution.”
“ISIS leadership accused the four men of high treason for evacuating their post at the battlefront near Mosul without permission. The group considered them deserters and publicly hanged them to death,” the source said.
Speaking to ARA News, head of Nineveh media centre Raafat al-Zarari said: “By publicly executing its own militants for escaping the fighting frontline, ISIS is trying to send a message to all of its jihadi fighters that anyone who would refuse orders will be punished by death.”
“The group is torturing and killing its own fighters. The recent wave of dissidence that hit ISIS’ ranks reflects the gradual collapse of the group’s power,” he said.
Reporting by: Ali Issa
Source: ARA News