YPG fighters during clashes against ISIS in the countryside of Sere Kaniye, northeastern Syria. Photo: ARA News
- Dutch NGO provides aid to Kurdish students in post-war Kobane
- Scottish MP calls for more support for Syrian Kurds after Qamishli bombing
- Kurds blame Syrian regime for facilitating ISIS attacks in Qamishli
- ISIS claims deadly attack on Kurdish city northeast Syria
- Kurdish president announces move towards ‘own sovereignty’
- Colombian FARC rebels show sympathy with Syrian Kurds, but deny intention to join fight against ISIS
- Syrian Kurdish defence chief denies reports about Turkish coup pilot entering Rojava
AFRIN – Kurdish forces of the People’s Protection Units (YPG) on Wednesday launched an offensive on strongholds of Syrian Islamist rebel groups in the northwestern Idlib province.
The YPG bombed headquarters of the Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement in Idlib countryside, killing at least eight militants and wounding 13 others, according to military sources.
This comes just one day after fighters of the Ahrar al-Sham and Nusra Front (al-Qaeda branch in Syria) bombed Kurdish villages in Afrin district in northern Aleppo province.
Dozens of Kurdish civilians were killed when militants of Nusra and Ahrar al-Sham hit the Jumla and Diwan villages in Afrin countryside earlier on Tuesday.
“The mortar shelling by those radical Islamist groups has killed and injured over 30 civilians on Tuesday,” a medical source in Afrin told ARA News, adding that some of the injured were in critical conditions amid shortage of medical staff and equipment.
“The field hospital of Jinderis in Afrin cannot provide the injured people with efficient treatment due to the shortage of specialists and medicines,” the source said.
Speaking to ARA News, YPG official Hezan Hado said that the attack on the Islamists strongholds in Idlib came in response to their offensive on Kurdish villages of Afrin.
Reporting by: Siman Ciwan
Source: ARA News